Expired Summer Workshop Week #1
June 22, 2020 - June 26, 2020
9:30 am - 12:00 pm
|Week #1– June 22-June 26 from 9:30-12:00|
|Musical Theatre Dance||New: Tap Dance (no shoes necessary)||Musical Theatre Dance||New: Tap Dance (no shoes necessary)||Musical Theatre Dance|
|Acting & Scene Work||New: Improvisational Workshop||Acting & Scene Work||New: Improvisational Workshop||Acting & Scene Work|
|Music & Voice||New: Music Appreciation||Music & Voice||New: Music Appreciation||Music & Voice|
- Musical Theatre, Improvisation & Scene
- This is an improvisational workout geared towards helping actors find creativity and enhance their skills as a performer. Actors are trained to follow their instincts on stage through exercises that focus on performing scenes with little or no rehearsal. It is important for students at this age to let go of how they feel they should perform, and instead start to just be on stage. To free the actor from their own preconceived notions of a role, or scene, and to produce a more versatile and daring actor, in depth character work is encouraged. We will explore a variety of Broadway shows!
- Improv and Fairy Tales
- This class is designed to ignite your child’s imagination. We’ll create a variety of characters and explore the fun-filled world of theatre through creating a variety of characters. How does a character walk, talk, think, engage with other characters? The class will consist of acting games, fairy tales, improvisation, skits and so much more!
- Musical Theater Vocal Ensemble
- This workshop will largely be run in the style of classic FPAS musical theater classes. Students will warm up, learn about and exercise proper vocal technique, and work on a large ensemble-style show tune. Students will learn and practice their parts during class, and then record themselves singing as part of a virtual ensemble.
- Music Appreciation
- Students will be exposed to a wide variety of music, including musical theater, pop, rock, funk, and jazz. We will compare and contrast different styles and composers, focusing on performance and composition. Students will engage in fun, thoughtful discourse about music.
- Musical Theatre Dance—All Session
- This workshop focuses on the classic Broadway dance style. Students will warm up, learn key moves, and then work on choreography combinations to showtunes. At the end of the week, students will have learned a full dance to a Broadway song. Please wear shoes and clothing you can move in.
- Tap is a fun, rhythmic style of dance and a useful musical theatre skill. In this workshop students will learn basic tap steps and work on choreography combinations. Any dance-appropriate shoe is fine if you do not have tap shoes, and no prior experience is necessary.
We know that what makes FPAS special is the people…so campers will also participate in our Pen Pal Program!
Instead of arts and crafts, we will be pairing all campers with a Pen Pal! At the beginning of your session, you will find out who your Pen Pal is, and at the end of the week, you’ll have the chance to exchange notes the old-fashioned way. Drawings, letters, songs, doodles, poems—creativity is encouraged! Even though we can’t all be together, this will foster our sense of community and give campers a tangible reminder of the friends, counselors, and FPAS Pals who love and miss them!